what is the standard for HAART,confused.

Firstly; thank you for all your valuable work on this site it allows Hiv'ers to get informed and get expert advice.My question is this, what is a standard HAART treatment.Everyone you talk too is on a totally different combination.My own Dr doesn't advocate been on three drugs in the same class for example AZT,3TC and Ziagen.Which some material you read says its a powerful combination.Some insist on the use of PI's in any combination.Even the use of Acyclovir as prophylaxis agaist Herps and shingles no matter what your T cells are.

My combination is Viramune,Sustiva,Epivir,Ziagen and Acyclovir.Yet my partners combination is Viramune,Epivir ,Ziagen and Acyclovir.And we go to the same medical practice,yet the Dr and PA differ in rationale for combinations, these effective combinations.Its just so confusing, we just want to be able to live along life together and be healthy.Thank you

Thanks for your question and comments. The definition of HAART is a bit of a moving target. Classically HAART is defined by combination antiretorival therapy that includes at least 3 drugs; usually a backbone of two nucleoside RT inhibitors and one protease inhibitor OR one non-nucleoside RT inhibitor. Dual PI therapy also counts in this regard. Recently, some have advocated the use of triple nucleoside therapy; provided that abacavir is one of the nukes. Only a few patients (or doctors) advocate the simultaneous use of dual non-nukes.

The use of acyclovir prophylaxis for Herpes is not universally endorsed; I don't use it in my practice unless one has recurrences of Herpes or shingles.

Keep asking questions -- BY

Benjamin Young, M.D., Ph.D.

onE mORE mONTH - JB
Lymh nodes