Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

what is the standard for HAART,confused.
Jan 23, 2001

Firstly; thank you for all your valuable work on this site it allows Hiv'ers to get informed and get expert advice.My question is this, what is a standard HAART treatment.Everyone you talk too is on a totally different combination.My own Dr doesn't advocate been on three drugs in the same class for example AZT,3TC and Ziagen.Which some material you read says its a powerful combination.Some insist on the use of PI's in any combination.Even the use of Acyclovir as prophylaxis agaist Herps and shingles no matter what your T cells are.

My combination is Viramune,Sustiva,Epivir,Ziagen and Acyclovir.Yet my partners combination is Viramune,Epivir ,Ziagen and Acyclovir.And we go to the same medical practice,yet the Dr and PA differ in rationale for combinations, these effective combinations.Its just so confusing, we just want to be able to live along life together and be healthy.Thank you

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your question and comments. The definition of HAART is a bit of a moving target. Classically HAART is defined by combination antiretorival therapy that includes at least 3 drugs; usually a backbone of two nucleoside RT inhibitors and one protease inhibitor OR one non-nucleoside RT inhibitor. Dual PI therapy also counts in this regard. Recently, some have advocated the use of triple nucleoside therapy; provided that abacavir is one of the nukes. Only a few patients (or doctors) advocate the simultaneous use of dual non-nukes.

The use of acyclovir prophylaxis for Herpes is not universally endorsed; I don't use it in my practice unless one has recurrences of Herpes or shingles.

Keep asking questions -- BY

Benjamin Young, M.D., Ph.D.

Previous
onE mORE mONTH - JB
Next
Lymh nodes

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.