Recreational drugs and effects on HIV.

Dear Doctor,

Thanks for all your great help too those of us needing your expertise.I am very concerned for a friend of mine who just tested positive recently;his number where OK but not great by any means CD4 550 VL 2700.The problem is he thinks he's just fine because his Doctor hasn't started him on HARRT and continues to do Crystal,GHB,Special K,ecstasy and cocaine on a regular bases.Alone with staying up all night partying.My partner and I also tested positive and I was also diagnosed with Advanced NHL.So we only know too well what this disease can mean.We where no angles by any means;but since learning that where HIV decided our health was more important and longevity verses partying.How can i help my friend before he damages his immune system any further. Any advice I'd be grateful.Thank you.

Thanks for your question and comments. There is no direct relationship between recreationals and HIV, per se; excesses can lead to a tendency to ignore ones health or fail to receive the usual health care maintenance. Certainly, for those who are taking antivirals, recreationals pose the danger of missed doses of medications (poor adherence) and the risk of drug resistant virus.

As for CD4 count of 550 and viral load of 3000; there is a newer appreciation that people in this category may defer on the initiation of therapy, provided, again, that they receive follow up monitoring labs. -BY

Benjamin Young, M.D., Ph.D.

Hepatitis Vaccine and Elisa Accuracy
Worried!!! Please help... Acne like eruption all over the trunk