risk of

I have developed what I have seen here called "crix-belly"

and the 'buffalo hump" (although mine is the alien baby).

Does having most of the fat in my body also put me at an

additional risk for heart disease as it does for the general public? This is such a catch-22--trying not to lose weight as my legs, arms & face are skinny but muscular, but my waist is getting bigger & bigger. I can't stand it. Do I diet or not?? I am taking ritonavir, 3tc, d4t,saquinivir, nevarapin which have saved my life, but now I'm in vanity mode.

Response from Dr. Gallant

Your risk for heart disease will not be determined by the fat around your waist or in your back, but by the cholesterol in your coronary arteries. For that you need to look at your serum cholesterol level and lipid profile.

You can diet if your stomach will tolerate the ritonavir/saquinavir with less fat. You might also just make sure your testosterone level is normal.

JG

Saquinavir/Ritonavir and liver
JG - I think you goofed!