Why does Viracept cause Diarrhea?

Why does Viracept cause loose stools and diarrahea? Also how does food help with absorption/prevent the bowel problems? Are there a certain number of calories that are ideal to take with it and how effective is juice and yogurt as a morning snack with the dose? Your advice to take Metamucil worked well, I would just like to understand why Viracept does this to the bowel system.

Thanks.

Response from Dr. Gallant

I'm not trying to be flip here, but the answer is that like many drugs, Viracept causes diarrhea because it does. Just like AZT causes anemia because it does, and ddC causes neuropathy because it does. Those are just the side effects.

Of course, there is also a REAL answer, but that would require that I go into a detailed discussion of pathophysiology and pharmacology, and might have to do more reading than I am prepared to do. If you are less lazy than I am, I encourage you to continue looking into this. In the mean-time, I'm glad the Metamucil is working. I've heard of no minimum calorie requirement. Yogurt and juice might be a little too light, but I don't know that for a fact.

JG

Fortovase/Ritonavir - another dosing question??
Twice a day Viracept