VEINY ARMS AND LEGS

I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH HIV IN JAN 1997. THEN I STARTED TAKING MEDICINES(AZT AND DDI) FOR 18 MONTHS. NOW I AM ON AZT, 3TC, AND SUSTIVA. WEIGHT HAS NOT BEEN INCREASED(ABOUT 58 KGS, HEIGHT 168 CM). I HAVE EXECISED BUT AM NOT MASCULINE. UNFORNATELY MY ARMS AND LEGS ARE VEINY. PLEASE ADVISE WHAT CAN HELP. THANKING DOCTOR IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR KIND ATTENTION.

BYE WILLIAM

A common problem. Aging, longer period of HIV infection, good responses to treatment have all been associated with fat distribution problems. Some drugs may have more of a tendency for fat wasting but they are have been associated with it to some degree. The real culprit is still unknown but the problem may be multifactorial. Stopping treatment may not reverse the process. The ACTG is studing the use of Avandia (a diabetes medication) for facial fat wasting in a study that hopefully will open this summer. It is hard to be patient about these problem! KH

bilirubin were high, need to change cocktail
erectile dysfunction