suing the drug companies

I have been on meds for three years now, and I have had to watch my body turn into something that hardly recognize anymore due to lipodystrophy. I am mad as hell! there doesn't seem to be any concrete answers for what is happening to my body or what to do about fixing it. At this point I feel drug companies should be held accountable for these damages, that their toxic pills caused. So I am wondering the posibilities of a class action lawsuit. Has anyone else expressed interest?

The etiology of the fat redistribution problems now being experienced by HIV infected persons is complicated. Many if not most of the HIV medications now available were rushed in their development to address the crisis of death due to AIDS. Our clinic saw a 85% decline in deaths in 1997 compared to 1995. AIDS activists and patients pressured the system for fast action.

Fat problems in the setting of HIV infection bear some relationship to age of the patient, whether the patient has been sick with AIDS, how long the patient has had HIV, how well the immune system has recovered, how effective the meds are, and perhaps to particular medications. A lawsuit against the drug companies would be a disaster since new drug development would slow and efforts to make the drugs more affordable would be hindered. The issue now has the attention of the drug companies and researchers so there should be progress on the why and how to treat fronts over the next several years. The ACTG has one study open and another on the way addressing the issue. KH

Atrial Fib, drug related?
liver health