Diabetes and HIV Treatment

I have been diabetic for 19 years and wear an insulin pump for about 10 years. About 2 1/2 years ago I was started on meds for HIV. At this time I take 6 pills of Norvir twice a day, 2 pills of Combovir twice a day, and 2 pills of Saquinavir twice a day. I changed to these meds two weeks ago and still have not gotten used to them. I test my sugar levels over 4 times a day and have noticed that when my levels go low (below 80) or high (over 170) I am nausea. Any idea how long this last or is there something i can take to help my nausea.

Response from Dr. Currier

The nausea associated with starting on norvir and saquinavir is usually the most sever during the first 4 weeks of therapy. In some people it can last longer. It is important to take the meds with food. There have been reports of hyperglycemia developing in people on these drugs, the impact on established diabtetes is unknown. I would suggest that you continue to monitor your blood sugars as you are and discuss how your blood sugar whould be managed with your physician. Hopefully the nausea will begin to subside soon, so don't give up.

-JC

diabetes question
CRIX/d4t/3tc schedule& CURE?