Leg, ankle and feet swelling

I recently started IV pain medication (dilaudid) for intestinal pain. Since then my legs, ankles and feet are very swollen. Is this normal and will it subside? Anything I can do to bring down the swelling. Or does this drug have nothing to do with the swelling?

Response from Dr. Boyle

The swelling you are describing is not a common side effect of dilaudid and I have not seen it in my practice. I doubt that the dilaudid is the source of the swelling. There are treatments, such as diuretics and leg elevation, that can decrease the swelling; however, you should see your doctor for an evaluation and workup of this problem. BB

Brian Boyle, M.D., J.D.

Severe Neuropathy
Severe Neuropathy with sores on feet possible?