Stavudine and Lipodystrophy

My partner has been taking Viramune, Epivir, and Zerit for almost 3 years. He has maintained a viral load below detectable levels and a CD4 count around 500. He has recently begun to exhibit some signs of lipodystrophy; mainly increased abdominal fat and to a lesser degree, decreased subcutaneous fat in his extremities. His cholesterol/LDL levels have also gotten high.

Should diet and exercise not get the levels back down, do you recommend lipid lowering agents?? Or would a switch from Zerit to AZT be a wise decision??

Thanks for your help.

Response from Dr. Boyle

It sounds like he has had significant success with this regimen and that he tolerates it well other than the problems with lipodystrophy/lipids. If the condition is mild and your partner is not anxious to change medications, I would probably continue him on the current regimen, and use diet/exercise/cholesterol lowering agents as needed (starting with a nutritional evaluation, dietary adjustment and increase in exercise to control his lipids). The current antiretrovirals do not affect cholesterol to a great degree, so I doubt that they are the source of his problem with lipids, but his lipoatrophy may be zerit related (although the data goes back and forth on this issue). If the lipodystrophy is significant or he is bothered by it or it progresses, I would consider changing the zerit. BB

Brian Boyle, M.D., J.D.

HIV effects on Bones
Life Expectancy - JB