Neuropathy

Hi and thank you for taking the time to answer my question. Have been poz for 9 years. Cd4's are 300, viral load <50 for 5 years now. Current drugs are Crixivan, Famivir, and Combivir. Have been in a wheeelchair for 4 months due to Stenosis of the vertabra #'s 8 and 9 due to a MAC infection that happened in 2/99. Going to see a Neuro-Surgeon in 1 week. Been on Crixivan for 5 years and would like to get off of it due to neuropathy. Do you see a problem with switching meds at this point? I would like to take something less toxic. Thanks for your help.

Response from Dr. Boyle

None of your current antiretrovirals, including Crixivan, is particularly associated with peripheral neuropathy. I suspect your neuropathy is related to other factors and I suggest that you discuss this with the neurosurgeon, neurologist and primary care doctor involved with your care. Given your immunologic and virologic success, I would be reluctant to change therapy at this point. BB

Brian Boyle, M.D., J.D.

angioplasty
peripheral lipoatrophy