angioplasty

I am a 42yo. man, diagnosed in 89, never sick. I started taking Zerit, Epivir and Crixivan for about 4yrs.This year I was diagnosed with CAD in May, my cardiologist did the first angiosplasty and put one stent, he did a stress test in July and everything was fine, in August I started with chest pain again and they did the second angioplasty with another stent, after the surgery I developed a pseudo aneurism in the right groin, very painful, they trombosied and I am fine now. I am taking Plavix 75mg,Ecotrin 325mg and Zebeta 2.5mg. I am very worried about my future since I have a family history of heart disease. Any suggestions about the treatment or vitamins or herbs. Thank you very much

Response from Dr. Boyle

The data is unclear regarding the relationship of cardiovascular disease and protease inhibitors, with the most recent studies failing to find a relationship. Given your history, however, I might consider changing to a non-PI based regimen, if that option exists. Of course you should also have your glucose, cholesterol/triglycerides and blood pressure watched very carefully and controlled tightly. You should eliminate any other risk factors you can such as smoking or poor diet. It is possible that riboflavin and other vitamins may be helpful, but there is little data to support this at this point. Good luck. BB

Brian Boyle, M.D., J.D.

surgery or drug holiday?
Neuropathy