Re: Sustiva!!! - JB

Dear Doctor Bartlett........

Thank you for your previous help. As far as your response, I don't FEEL depressed. My life is pretty good. Yes, I have gained weight, I have had to buy a new wardrobe and it is getting expensive! I was afraid that I was going to have to buy even bigger clothes, but I seem to have stabilized at about 15 lbs heavier. That is unusual for a runner, is it not? I have been running for many years and have never had flabby legs muscles, it is so dramatic that my friends have commented. I have not even mentioned the blisters that Sustiva gives me......some of the side effects I just try to take in stride....but I think that the running is what has kept me alive.......certainly healthier than most HIVers, and I am concerned, that is why I am rewriting you.

I have tried protease inhibitors, but the side effects required me to stop.......in fact, just thinking about them, gives me a sustiva panic attack!

Thank you very much for your help.

Robyn

Response from Dr. Bartlett

Robyn, it sounds like to you have really carefully documented the changes in your body. I would suggest that you discuss a potential switch in your Sustiva to another medication such as nevirapine, (Viramune, another NNRTI), or abacavir, (Ziagen, an NRTI), with your health care provider. Good luck, and keep on running!

John A. Bartlett, M.D.

Urgently require your answer - JB
Can I take Creatine?