More Lipodystrophy Questions

Dear Doctors -- I was infected with HIV in May, and as part of a clinical trial have begun two years of HAART with Zerit, Abacavir, Amprenavir, Ritonavir, and Epivir. My viral load is 49 and T-cells are in the high 1300s. I am 30 years old. After nearly three months I have had no side effects except for recurrent, coming-and-going diarrhea, and an odd brief bout of losing my hair which seems to have stopped. I make my living as an actor, and am concerned about facial wasting. Any other lipodystrophy symptoms wouldn't affect me so much, but I am afraid of becoming wasted-looking in my face. Of course, I suppose there's vanity mixed in there, too. Has Zerit been recognized as the primary contributor to facial wasting? Have people not on Zerit had this symptom? What percentage of people on Zerit have this symptom? Any help is appreciated. Also, I read recently that liposuction won't help with swelling of the stomach, but will help with fat deposits on the back. Then what does the stomach enlargement consist of? What is it that's swelling? Just wondering. Thanks so much for your site.

There are several reports that link Zerit to peripheral fat wasting, including facial wasting. These reports do not provide proof that Zerit causes wasting. A corroborating study switched patients from Zerit-containing regimens to a AZT-containing regimen. This study showed some reversal of lipodystrophy; taken together the studies are suggestive of a role.

It is important to note that in one study (HOPS), it was clearly demonstrated that other risk factors (age, duration and severity of HIV disease) played important roles in lipodystrophy. In this study, persons with no risk factors for lipodystrophy did not develop the syndrome despite extensive treatment with either Crixivan or Zerit.

-BY

Benjamin Young, M.D., Ph.D.

Diarrhea & Psyllium safe or not
treatment for swelling glands JB