DON'T WANT TO START MEDS

I'm a woman who was sexually involved with a man for 6 years from 1988 to 1994 until he told me he had just tested HIV pos, it turned out he had full blown AIDS. I tested pos. with undetectable vir load and CD4 of 865, he had CD4 of less than 40 I get tested every 6 mos still undetect. w/ CD4 still 750 to 800+ , but a more sensitive test was just done showing vir. load of 104. CD4 826. We had so much unprotected sex of every kind for those 6 yrs. and don't want to start meds. Please tell me what you make of all this. Thank you, Stephanie

You so far have exhibited a very good thing which is a low viral set point. What does that mean? It means that, for some reason, your virus seems to not grow well in your body. Maybe your immune system is strong so far. I would continue to be monitored at the intervals you mention, maximize your nutritional status, maintain good genital health (pap smears etc), and stay off HIV treatment for the time being. Your situation overall is a very good one and provides hope that you can do well for many years/even decades. KH

Keith Henry, M.D.

Spastic Colon
Elevated Triglycerides and Pancreatitis