I lost my sense of taste

I'm HIV positive since 1986. I take Zerit, Saquinavir, Videx Norvir and Rescriptor. I also take Hydrea. My Tcell count is at 320 and my viral load is <100. Since 6-7 months, I have experienced a gradual lost in my sense of taste. Is it possible that all the meds I take are responsible. Thanks

Yes -- I have had a few patients develop that problem -- most likely related to the Norvir but the hydroxurea/ddI might contribute as well. Assuming that you have no evidence for oral disease (thrush, oral hairy leukoplakia, vitamin deficiency) or central complaints (no brain lesions or evidence for other problems) then consideration for changing your regimen within the context of what you have been on previously and the benefit of your current treatment -- if any good options exist. KH

Keith Henry, M.D.

rheumatoid arthritis and hiv
hiv symptoms