Amoxil & current HIV treatment meds - JB

Hi Dr. Bartlett! I am so excited to see that you are part of the forum! Did you get any of the desserts that I brought the Dr.? I certainly hope so! I am currently taking Zerit, Epivir and Viramune. Recently I was prescribed Amoxil 500mg to be taken 3 X's daily X 10 days for strep. This caused me a great deal of pain in my feet the very first night and numbness in my feet too. I am extremely fatigued and have decreased appetite. Are you aware of any adverse reactions when combining Amoxil with my current Hiv therapy? Thanks for your help!

Response from Dr. Bartlett

Your desserts are tremendous! Amoxicillin is not known to interact with the antiretrovirals you are taking, so I am a bit puzzled by your symptoms. Zerit can cause tingling and numbness due to peripheral neuropathy, but it would be strange for it to begin so acutely. Do you have any rash? At the end of the day, a return visit to see the doctor makes the most sense.

John A. Bartlett, M.D.

Skin sensitivity
High LDL Cholesterol and extremely low HDL JB