Skin sensitivity

I was recently diagnosed with Diabetes Type II and I have been HIV+ for several years. My doctor gave me DDC, DDI, IDV and RTV. I developed severe neuropathy and a very painful overall skin sensitivity. I stopped all of my meds and I am currently taking Kaletra (only) and started neurontin. The neuropathy went away but the skin sensitivity is still there. I have to take cold showers and when people touch me it feels like I'm being burnt. What is this skin sensitivity and what can I do about it?

Response from Dr. Boyle

The skin sensitivity can be from a number of causes, but the most likely causes are either a residual effect of the neuropathy you developed due to concomitant ddC and ddI treatment or HIV itself. Over the years I have patients with symptoms similar to yours, but generally the problem is restricted to their extremities. I suggest that you see a dermatologist to verify that there are no skin diseases that are being missed, and if there are none, then I would consider a trial of neurontin and an analgesic (starting with ibuprofen and increasing the strength of the pain medication as needed). Kaletra as monotherapy is not a good idea and will not lead to long-term success. You should discuss this with your doctor and consider adding other antiretrovirals. BB

Brian Boyle, M.D., J.D.

Early Neuropathy ? - JB
Amoxil & current HIV treatment meds - JB