Throwing Up

I recently started combivir and sustiva this past Thanksgiving. This has been my first experience with HIV medications. So far, mostly good. Except that I often feel that I have something stuck in my throat and I recently have been throwing up (mostly in the morning). Mostly what is thrown up is a clear fluid and the act of throwing up is very brief. Any thoughts on how I could alleviate this side effect? Thanks.

Nausea is encountered with Combivir (usually due to the AZT) and more rarely with Sustiva. Usually it diminishes with time. Are you taking the Combivir with food in the morning and evening? If you have other GI complaints then an evaluation for H pylori or other causes of dyspepsia might be warranted. Marinol or Reglan often helps those symptoms but it is preferable to find out why if at all possible. Sometimes taking a night time stomack med like cimetidine or Pepcid might help. A GI or ENT work-up might be in order if none of that help to see if there is something else going on. KH

Ziagen side effects
Lactic Acid produced from Lactose?