High Fever/ Stopping Meds/ Viral Load JB

Dear Doc,

I tested positive in May 2000. I have been on Sustiva and Combivir ever since and my results have been great. (initial lab result: 1.4million vl 359cd4; one month on meds: 1300vl 478cd4; most recent: undetectable vl. 600cd4) My questions is I have had a mild fever for the past 3 weeks; never below 99.1 never above 100.6 . My doctor diagnosed me with pneumonia and gave me some antibiotics. The antibiotics didn't seem to work and since then I have been on one more (1st was Zithromax 2nd was Ceftin). He has asked me to stop taking my meds (sustiva and combivir) for 4 days to see if the fever is being caused by some sort of allergic reaction to the meds. 1. Will stopping my meds for 4 days affect my numbers at all? 2. Can I develop resistance to my meds either from being sick for this long or from stopping them for the 4 days he has asked? I rely like my meds. They have been working great and i have had little side effects and I want to stay on them as LONG as possible. Thank you for you time.

Response from Dr. Bartlett

It sounds like your fever has been a mystery. Medications can cause fever, and your doctor's hypothesis is very reasonable. If you stop your medications for four days we are honestly just beginning to learn about the impact. Some investigators have suggested that viral load and CD4 cell counts don't change much for the first week, but then they both return to pre-treatment values. Sometimes patients can feel sick after stopping their medications, similar to the symptoms of acute HIV infection. The available evidence suggests that resistance is not likely to occur from stopping all medications at once. When patients restart their treatment, most have a return to viral load and CD4 values similar to pre-interruption. I think this exercise should be done only with the counsel of your health care provider, and it is crucial that you and she(he) remain in close contact.

John A. Bartlett, M.D.

help with facial lypodytrophy?
Sustiva Woes JB