Sulfameth Side Effect

I just started taking Sulfameth (2-DS Tablets/Day) for a minor urinary tract infection. After 2nd full day of taking the medication, I get this "tingleness" in my hands, feet, behind the eyes; similar to when your hands, feet fall asleep. It is minor and comes and goes during the day. To my knowledge, I am not allergic to anything and was curious if this is a serious side effect or just the "breakin" period for the drug. Thanks.

Assuming you are HIV+ I generally don't recommend the use of Sulfameth for Urinary tract infections but reserve it for use if needed for prevention of Pneumocystic pneumonia (PCP). Persons with HIV have a high rate of side effects and hypersensitivity reactions to that med -- some of your symptoms could represent that. They might get worse over a 7-10 period of time if that is the case. You may want to discuss with your HIV specialist. KH

Keith Henry, M.D.

question about dexedrin & celexa
help with facial lypodytrophy?