lipodystrophy a cause of abdominal pain?

I have been experiencing pain right at the upper limit of the abdomen near the diaphragm for about a year. At first my doctor thought it could be enlarged liver since my enzymes were slightly high. But a scan disproved this theory. I even had a chest xray to rule out some lung affection, since it was at the lower reach of where the lungs are, just underneath the rib cage. No explanation has been found. But I also have been experiencing the typical symptoms of lipodystrophy, and was recently examined by a dietician who confirmed I have almost no fat on my legs and arms and higher than normal on my back and abdomen.

Could this pain be caused by accumulation of fat in my upper abdomen? It is getting to the point where it is uncomfortable enough to prevent me from sleeping, (but I have experienced much more painful things). Still it worries me, as it gets worse from month to month.

What could I do? (I have read your previous answers and I know there is no treatment for lipodystrophy, per se). But what if I go on a good healthy weight loss diet. Would I be likely to lose fat in the right place? Anyways I have very little to lose on my legs, buttocks or elsewhere.

For the past 5 years I have been on Fortavase + Combivir (originally Saquinavir), my weight has not changed, only my shape. I have always been reasonably active (jogging a bit, lots of walking and bicycling). I will still be switching probably to Sustiva + d4t + ddl, since I have resistance confirmed by geno/phenotypage.

I have been hiv+ since at least 1987, likely since the early 1980s and have been SO lucky staying alive. I got quite sick only just at the time when the new triple-combos became available.

It certainly seems that lipodystrophy, particularly central adiposity (fat in the abdomen) may explain your symptoms. Clearly persons with fat atrophy appear to be at greater risk for central fat accumulations (buffalo hump, central adiposity).

As you have noted, there aren't any great therapies for central adiposity, save for growth hormone. This drug causes decreases in central adiposity (that recur after treatment is stopped), and may cause further wasting of peripheral fat. Indeed, I believe that the syndrome is a marker of having survived advanced HIV disease for a long time, as you have. My best advice is to stay on the best, most durable treatment to suppress HIV- research in this field is moving incredibly fast, answers should be coming soon. -- BY

Benjamin Young, M.D., Ph.D.

What data do you have about NORVIR and Liver Risk?
oxandrin side effects