What data do you have about NORVIR and Liver Risk?

To Whom it may Concern:

Thanks for this forum I find it extremely helpful.

I'm reading along in my Men's Health magazine and every month they have a Health Update page, sometimes I find it useful. This month a section with the topic that Norvir Ups Liver Risk.....and it says, "Patients who take ritonavir (brand name Norivr) may have a higher risk of developing severe liver damage, according to researchers at the John Hopkins Unv. School of Medicine in Baltimore". "People taking Norvir were more likely to have liver toxicity at a rate of 30% to 7% compared to those taking other protease inhibitors". What do you think? I take Viracept and Combivir, and they work great but what about my liver??

I have blood work done every 3 months and for two years now there have been no problems, should I be concerned long term?

Thank you!

Reed

Many of the persons with Norvir-induced liver damage had other liver diseases in addition to HIV infection (hepatitis B or C, cirrhosis or alcoholism). If you have taken Norvir for this long and have not had any liver issues, you are very unlikely to have them. It continues to be a good idea to continue to get follow up monitoring. -BY

Benjamin Young, M.D., Ph.D.

Facial wasting just starting
lipodystrophy a cause of abdominal pain?