Facial wasting just starting

Dear Sirs,

I have read several responses about this topic but I wanted to share my situation because I feel it is slightly different. VL <50, CD4 300 and steady for a year. I am starting to see the early signs of facial wasting. I also notice veins in my legs and arms are more prominent although not too bad as of yet. I want to try and prevent this from continuing and possibly get some of my facial fat back. I have been on the same HAART combo since I started taking meds in the summer of 1999. They are D4T, 3TC, Efavirenz (Sustiva). I also take Testosterone (cypionate) 200mg IM every two weeks for fatigue and low libido AND I have been taking Oxandrin (oxandrolone) 5mg every day for no other reason than to prevent muscle loss from happening although I really don't think the Oxandrin is 100% necessary right now. I will be graduating from college in December and moving to a different state and would like some ideas for when I see my new practitioner for the first time. I would appreciate your expert input (as much as you can give from the provided information). I will only use your input coupled with the advice of my future practitioner to make an informative decision about what to do. Could the D4T be causing this facial and peripheral fat loss? Could the Oxandrolone be causing it? Should I consider stopping the D4T and switch to another NRTI, such as Ziagen? Should I stop all drugs for a week or so for a little break? Any other input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all you guys do to inform us.

Thanks for your very articulate question. You've identified all of the possible approaches to your symptoms. Among all of the possibilities, the role of anabolic steroids in peripheral fat thinning is the most clear, this is why body builders like using steroids. A discontinuation of oxandrolone would seem prudent. It is also worth knowing what your free testosterone level is; do you need to be on this supplement or this dose? Whether d4T is causative in lipoatrophy is more controversial, though the body of data is suggestive. The only data on switches are those to Retrovir; in a well designed study, patients with lipodystrophy on d4T who were switched to ZDV had improvements in lipoatrophy. Good luck -- BY

Benjamin Young, M.D., Ph.D.

Abdominal pain & acid reflux that won't quit - BY
What data do you have about NORVIR and Liver Risk?