Memory / Thinking / Vision Side Effect?

I started meds in July 00, Sustiva/Combivir, when viral load went up to 202,000 and tcells were 350. I tested positive Dec 99 and was negative July 99. I switched to epivir/videx/viracept the first of October. Though my numbers were great, the neuropathy and mental side effects of the first combo were too much. Besides the diarrhea and stomach upset, most of the side effects have gone away. I'm having short term memory problems, disorientation, slowed thinking, and flashes of light and spots in my night vision. I know these can be later effects of HIV, but it seems way to soon. My doctor thinks it is depression, but i'm taking Serzone and feel fine. Any suggestions or other information considering the newness of the infection? Thanks.

Response from Dr. Boyle

Depression could explain some of your symptoms, but that diagnosis should be made only after everything else that can cause these symptoms has been eliminated or "ruled out". You don't mention any testing your doctor may have done, but a starting point may be laboratories (chemistries, thyroid, etc.), a brain MRI and a thorough eye exam. I agree that it is unlikely that HIV disease is causing your symptoms at this point, but this is not impossible, and it is also possible that another condition is involved. If the workup is negative, perhaps you should see a psychiatrist for evaluation for a new antidepressant or other treatment. BB

Brian Boyle, M.D., J.D.

High Triglycerides & Gemfibrozil
Cryptosporidium question JB