High Triglycerides & Gemfibrozil

My triglycerides are around 400 and cholesterol is around 230. My question is My doctor(Nurse Practitioner) put me on Gemfibrozil. I have been reading about the side effects of gallbladder problems, and abnormal white cell counts, anemia, is there anything i could do with my diet that would lower my tris. I'm on sustiva and combivir and have

684 t cells and undect. viral load. I am 37 and really healthy except for some depression problems. Are there any herbs or vitamins that may help. What about DHEA supplements. Thanks San Antonio, Texas

Response from Dr. Boyle

The first approach to treating a mild to moderate increase in triglycerides or cholesterol is diet and exercise. You should see a nutritionist to discuss cutting down on your fat and cholesterol intake. You should also increase your exercise level and, if you do not already have one, start an organized exercise program. Several herbs and OTC supplements,including garlic, can help as well. While the effects of these are generally very limited, a combination of these agents with diet and exercise may be enough for you. If all of these fail, I agree with prescription medications, but the benefit must be weighed against the risk and side effects, especially is someone like you that does not have very high cholesterol or triglycerides to begin with. You can read more about this on this site.

Brian Boyle, M.D., J.D.

Anti-Depressent vs sexual dysfunction
Memory / Thinking / Vision Side Effect?