Anti-Depressent vs sexual dysfunction

I have asked this question but forgot where in this site I asked them. but plainly speaking I am presently taking Zoloft and have taken prozac in the past. I want to change as the zoloft is working in one are only and that is while on it I can not have an erection or if get one it goes before I am done. Is there any anti-depressent out there that does not go against obtaining a erection> I am sorry this is so crude but can't thing of a better way to ask. Thanks in advance.

Response from Dr. Boyle

The selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) class of antidepressant, which includes Prozac and Zoloft, is associated with erectile dysfunction (ED). Most other antidepressants, and there are many, are not associated with ED. You can read about these on this site or on www.medscape.com. ED is a significant problem and a recent presentation I saw, summarized in an article by me on www.HIVandHepatitis.com, argues that it may be a reason for medication and safer sex non-adherence. There is no easy way to discuss this problem, and sometimes the language is "crude", but it is important that you discuss this problem with your doctor and/or psychiatrist. While it may be uncomfortable for you, most doctors are accustomed to hearing about and discussing this problem, and there are many treatment options for ED and depression. BB

Brian Boyle, M.D., J.D.

Elevate numbers?
High Triglycerides & Gemfibrozil