Health screen after two years infection

Dear Dr.

Thank you very much for your works here!

I'm a 33 man and was infected in July 1998, and my lymphnodes in neck and groins have been swollen since Feb of 1999. In the my area I live, no doctors specilizing in HIV. So I have to get help from you.

I just did a health screen, which indicates something abnormal. My CT4 are 1230, CD8 is 1190. Following are some data of health screen:

1. Hematology:

1.1 White Cell differentiential count Lymphocytes is 42.2%(ref. range 15-41%), absoloute is 2.19.

2. Lipid Screen

2.1 Total cholesterol: 199 (ref. range 110-220 mg/dL)

2.2 iglycerides:355( ref. range 0-160 mg/dL)

3. Urinalysis

3.1 Blood: Positive + (ref. range Negative)

3.2 Protein: +(ref. range Negative)

4. Urine Microscopy

Red blood Cells: 20-25(ref. range 0-5/HPF)

What I want to asl are :

1. do you think the abnormal testing results are caused by HIV or other opportunistic infections?

2. Based on the above testing results, do you think my situation is very serious now?

3. Do I need to take anti_HIV therapy immeadiately?

Thanks! I'm looking forward to your response!

Mike

Response from Dr. Boyle

I do not think the abnormal tests are caused by HIV and there are many other possible explanations for your elevated triglycerides and the protein/blood in your urine. High levels of proteinuria (protein in urine) can be an indicator of HIV nephropathy (kidney disease), but I doubt that that is your problem. I would have your doctor repeat these studies, including a fasting triglyceride level, and if the urine examine remains positive, that will require further evaluation. I do not think these results are an indication to start therapy, but this is an issue you shlould discuss with your doctor. BB

Brian Boyle, M.D., J.D.

Feet Neuropathy-Any Help?
tingling and numbness in hand