Feet Neuropathy-Any Help?

Hello: For almost two years, I have had numbness in both feet, A year and a half ago, I started on HART, initially viracept and cmombivir. I have now switched to Combivir, DDI, Crixivan and Rotonivir. I still have the numbness, now with tingling, burining and itching on occasion. Can you sugggest any thereapy to relieve this discomfort. Given when it started, it seems to be HIV related rather than drug related. Thanks for any help you can provide. Gary

Response from Dr. Boyle

What you are describing appears to be HIV-related neuropathy. The ddI you are on may not be the initial cause, but it may tend to make it worse. There are a number of treatment options including analgesics (starting with an NSAID, e.g., ibuprofen, and increasing the strength of the therapy as needed), tricyclic antidepressants, e.g. Elavil (generally of little help), anti-seizure medications, e.g., Neurontin or Lamictal (I favor the former, and have had significant success with it), and topicals, e.g., lidocaine gel. There are a number of good articles about this topic on this site and I'd suggest you start with and NSAID and if that fails give Neurontin a Try, starting with a low dose and increasing as needed. Good Luck. BB

Brian Boyle, M.D., J.D.

Prinzide Interaction Effects
Health screen after two years infection