Upset Stomach??

I have been diagnosed now for about a year and a half, and am currently on Epivir, Zerit & Sustiva. The problem not with my viral load ( undetectable ) or my T-Cell count ( 500+), but with my bouts of diarrhea. It seems lately that very soon after I eat a meal, I will experience stomach pains and will have to go to the bathroom right away. Afterwards, I'm fine, but was wondering if there is anything that can be done to alleviate this. I've tried Lomotil, but it makes me very tired.

Have you had an evaluation for any bowel parasites or lactose intolerance just to see if anything else is going on before settling on one of the drugs to blame? Does that occur after each meal or just in the AM. Had you been on any of the currents meds before without the problem? Your complaint is a little unusual to be caused by your current HIV drug cocktail but if I became convinced that one of the drugs was causing it then I might try to switch to another good drug to see if the problem would improve. KH

Keith Henry, M.D.

Treatment modifications
Quality of life on Sustiva...