HELP!!!!!! My toes, legs and arms are numb!!!

Dear Dr.

First and foremost I want to thank you all for this incredible site...It has been very helpful for me dealing with this disease. My question however is that lately (I am a female who has been HIV+ for four years and I am on no meds)I have experienced numbness on my legs, toes and arms while I'm sleeping...I don't experience this during the day, but I also have noticed when I walk a long time my soles start aching and my toes get numb...Is this neuropathy?? I am really scared and will visit my doctor soon, but I was wondering if you will be able to help me since I am freaking out.. Thanks again..

Yes -- that could be neuropathy due to HIV itself or less likely some other cause (such as spinal stenosis, a vertebral disc, other infection, etc). It also could simply be a problem with the support in your feet/arches or something like that. Your doc would perform a good history and exam and help sort out the possibilities. You should not be scared -- this is a common problem and can usually be helped and rarely indicates something disastrous that would cause you to freak out. I hesitate to make any recommendations other than don't hesitate to see your doc or nurse to have that evaluated -- you probably will be relieved with the advise you get. KH

Keith Henry, M.D.

I need advice for L2-7001 a form of Proleukin..
HIV /AIDS , PCP and Diabetes