Sustiva and Fat Content in Meals

Hello there:

I have been on Sustiva & Combivir for a year-and-a-half now and am doing well on it with no side effects. The only real anoyance I have is in restricting my fat intake with Sustiva. I try to keep the grams of fat in my evening meal (which is when I take Sustiva) below 30g., but definately notice if I eat more (a bit dizzy, and night sweats) - so... 1. Is it only Sustiva that has this reaction and 2. What is the time window of fat intake to affect the Sustiva? Would it be affected if I had a very high fat meal at noon, even if I took the Sustiva at 8p.m.?

Many thanks for your advice. This site is a true God-send for many of us and your heroic efforts at disseminating information are more appreciated than I can say.

A high fat meal of taken at the same time as Sustiva could result in increased levels of Sustive which could result in more side effects. Many patients take Sustiva before going to bed or soon after getting up. Higher fat meals can be consumed as long as they are several hours before or after the Sustiva is taken. In your example, it would be OK to consume a higher fat meal at noon and take Sustiva at 8 PM. There are some food restrictions for other drugs (i.e. DDI on an empty stomack or Crixivan after only a light snack). KH

Managing Hiv and side effects of treatment
Sticky mucous w/blood from sinuses