lack of appetite and chronic diarrhoea (side effect of viramune)

Dear Sir,

My grand child is 2 years and 2 months old. He weighs 9.1 kg (In November 2001 he weighed 9.8 kg). He was diagnosed to have HIV 6 months ago. He was put on Viramune syrup 40mg daily and has been taking his medication regularly for the past 6 weeks.. In additional he aslo get clotrimazole syrup 240 mg alternate days three times in a week. My questions is that he continues to have diarrhoea of frequency of upto 6 times a day (stool examination and culture is negative)and does not have a good appetite. Please can you tell me as to what should I do next so as he can have a good appetite and halt to diarrhoea.. I would appreciate your help as I live in developing country (Tanzania)whereby viral load testing and CD 4 count measurements are not easily available..Please be kind and help me. Yours Susan Ngowi

Viramune rarely causes diarrhea by itself--is the child on any other medications. Poor nutrition and numerous infections (including many parasitic infections) are common causes of diarrhea in that setting. If there is any chance that you could get some other HIV meds in addition to Viramune which a good med to prevent HIV transmission from mom to baby but not so good by itself to treat HIV?? KH

I Need Advice
Abdomen discomfort