How long for major side effects to appear?

I was recently diagnosed as having had a recent infection (probably 1.5 months ago), and began taking meds (combivir and viracept) in the hope that I might take advantage of the success that some recently infected patients have had with STIs.

I've read about all sorts of possible side effects like lypodystrophy, anemia, diabetes, etc. that are associated with my meds. I'm wondering how long a patient has to be taking the meds before these kinds of side effects can appear. Are we talking weeks, months, or years? Thanks very much.

If you haven't had much problem with your meds so far you are off to a good start. Many patients have problems tolerating HIV drugs right from the beginning. If you are doing OK so that is great. More long term we watch for anemia/myopathy (AZT), neuropathy (3TC), and lipid/fat changes (the Viracept plus the other drugs). Being observant for new complaints as well as monitoring your blood work usually suffices to pick up serious problems. The regimen you are on has a good reputation for being well tolerated. KH

Protease w/o diarrhea
Re: How long for major side effects to appear?