Managing gastric adverse reactions. JB

Dear Doctors I am a young patient on HAART since 4 years.

When I began therapy it was fine but recently I started to feel some troubles regarding my stomach and also diarrhea because of the Viracept which it was included on my treatment plan plus Combivir. Besides my stomach looks extremely swollen I have no nausea neither pain but I feel terrible having to go to the bathroom 6 times a day.

There were no finds of parasites and the hepatic function test also normal.

Is there anything I can do to minimize this annoyance?

Thanks for your help.

AUSTIN

Response from Dr. Boyle

Austin, it is important for you to share this information with your health care provider and not suffer for a prolonged period because there are definitely options. To improve Viracept associated diarrhea some patients take increased fiber in their diets, some use Imodium or Lomotil, and some try glutamine or calcium supplementation. If none of these interventions work, then you and your health care provider need to balance the pros and cons of keeping Viracept in your regimen -- alternative drugs might be substituted if your diarrhea can't be improved.

John A. Bartlett, M.D.

Herbal Side Effects and Medicines JB
sore muscle in 1/2 of butt