Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How dangerous is using semen for lube?
Dec 17, 2001

Recetly I used aother man's semen for lube to masurbte myself. I now realize there is danger in doing this, as it can come into contact with the mucus membranes of the urethra. I was wondering just how dangerous this is considered to be?

Response from Mr. Kull

It's difficult to say how "dangerous" it is to use another person's semen for lubrication of your penis; frankly, there is no need for alarm. What we know about HIV transmission during sexual contact is that it is limited to vaginal, anal, and, less frequently, oral sex. This means that transmission of HIV through masturbation with another person's fluids would be an unlikely occurrence. HIV's fragility when exposed to the environment can be one explanation for the low-risk nature of this activity.

In some of my responses about mutual masturbation, I recommend that people do not use another person's fluids (semen, vaginal secretions, or fluids containing blood) for masturbation (saliva is not included in this list because it is not implicated in transmission). It is generally wise to avoid mucous membrane contact with potentially infected fluids because transmission of HIV could happen, even if it is unlikely. Use water or oil-based lubricants for masturbation; some are available in pocket sized packets or tubes in case you're out on the town. If no lube is available, use spit (saliva) instead of the semen of a person whose status is unknown or positive.

You may be at greater risk for other sexually transmitted infections through the activity you describe. Gonorrhea, chlamydia, hepatitis B, and syphilis are ones to be on the lookout for, because they can be transmitted through contact with infected semen.

RMK

Previous
mouth problems
Next
What is the possibility these can be ARS symthoms?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.