Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Testing
Aug 18, 2000

Hi,

Just a few questions to ask

1) How effective is a HIV Testing if it's done after of one week of exposure?

2) Is it possible for condom to totally remove the risk of getting HIV virus?

3) Is it any way of further reducing risk of getting HIV virus after having exposed sex? Perhaps like washing your vagina or penis with soap?

Thanks & Best Regards

Response from Mr. Kull

Here are my answers to your questions:

1) The HIV antibody test (ELISA/EIA) is probably not reliable at all after one week. It's unlikely that your body would have enough antibodies to be detected by the test at that point in infection. The test is more reliable at three weeks, much more reliable at three months, and most reliable at six.

2) If the condom remains intact (no tears or leakage), it is used correctly during the entire sex act, and water-based lubricant is used, then it should completely protect you from exposure to HIV.

3) After having sexual exposure/unprotected sex, I do not know of any methods to reduce your risk for infection. In general, it is best to not further irritate any exposed areas by scrubbing, douching, or the like. I don't think that cleaning yourself with soap can hurt (as long as it is not irritating), but I'm not sure that it will help either.

RMK

Previous
Possibly exposed to HIV in Jail?!
Next
bouncing emails!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.