Testing

Just a few questions to ask

1) How effective is a HIV Testing if it's done after of one week of exposure?

2) Is it possible for condom to totally remove the risk of getting HIV virus?

3) Is it any way of further reducing risk of getting HIV virus after having exposed sex? Perhaps like washing your vagina or penis with soap?

Thanks & Best Regards

Here are my answers to your questions:

1) The HIV antibody test (ELISA/EIA) is probably not reliable at all after one week. It's unlikely that your body would have enough antibodies to be detected by the test at that point in infection. The test is more reliable at three weeks, much more reliable at three months, and most reliable at six.

2) If the condom remains intact (no tears or leakage), it is used correctly during the entire sex act, and water-based lubricant is used, then it should completely protect you from exposure to HIV.

3) After having sexual exposure/unprotected sex, I do not know of any methods to reduce your risk for infection. In general, it is best to not further irritate any exposed areas by scrubbing, douching, or the like. I don't think that cleaning yourself with soap can hurt (as long as it is not irritating), but I'm not sure that it will help either.

RMK

Possibly exposed to HIV in Jail?!
bouncing emails!