The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

STD and antibiotics

Jul 31, 2000


I'm a man, and a couple of months ago, I received oral sex from an unknown woman. I did not wear a condom. I decided to see a doctor a couples of after, just to make sure, and he noticed that I was kind of stressed, with a possible STD. He gave me antibiotics, which I can't remember the name (250Mg, 1x day) and told me that those were good for almost all std's (gonorrhea, chlamydia and syphilis), or, at least, the most common one can get with oral sex. He told me that genital warts were not, usually, transmitted this way, and that I shouldn't worry about that. A couple of weeks after that, I saw another doctor and asked him about the action spectrum of the antibiotics and he told me the same thing : they were acting upon almost common STD.

But reading on your site that it might takes different treatments, depending the STD, who should I believe ? I know that genital warts, herpes, and hepatitis cannot be treated this way, but what for the others ?


Response from Mr. Kull

No antibiotics treat all STDs. Not all STDs are bacterial in nature. Sometimes doctors choose to treat the more common STDs empirically (like chlamydia and gonorrhea) with one antibiotic. If you are still concerned, give your doc a call and see if s/he can clear things up. Always best to go to the source.

The important thing: did your symptoms go away? If they did, then there is nothing to fear.


Drunk sex with a prostitute
Cuts, Abrasions, and possible infection...

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint