Transfer of HIV via manicure and haircuts
Aug 6, 2000
How likely would it be to contract the HIV virus or Hepatitis from being cut with a blade that may or may not have been sterilized and could have potentially been in contact with infected blood? How long can the virus survive outside of the body and on haircutting scissors or manicure equipment?
Response from Mr. Kull
Sterilization would kill HIV. HIV does not live outside of the body long at all. See the response to Transmission through shaving.
I have never heard of infection happening through a haircut. You can always ask to see if your beauty parlor or barber shop sterilizes their equipment. If they don't, you can report them to your local Department of Health.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- What Does Chlamydia Discharge In Women Look Like?
- What Do Genital Warts Look Like When They First Appear?
- What Are The Chances Of Getting Herpes Or Warts From A Safe Exposure With A Prostitute?
- Is Using A Condom A Guaranteed Way To Prevent Genital Herpes?
- Syphilis Rash On Hands Legs Feet
- Syphilis Diagnosis How Long Before I Can Have Sex
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.