Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Rimming
Aug 18, 2000

Here's a strange question for you. I was recently rimmed by someone I believe is positive. Now, I'm aware that saliva is not considered a way to transmit HIV, and that receiving a rim job is considered low risk. However, earlier in the day, before the sexual encounter, I had a little anal itch (which I sometimes get from sweating, etc.), and I dabbed a little Cortizone cream in the area. At the time of the sexual encounter, I didn't have any discomfort, so I didn't think about it. So, my question is, would the cortizone cream increase the risk in any way? I can't imagine that it would, but I thought I'd ask. And, more importantly, what if I had a tear, or cut, in the rectal area. How risky is saliva on an open cut?

Response from Mr. Kull

I don't know if the cortizone cream would increase your risk for HIV infection in this circumstance. I don't see why it would either. In general, saliva is not believed to be a fluid that efficiently transmits the virus. So whether or not saliva got onto an open cut should be irrelevant. The risk for transmission in this circumstance remains very low.

RMK

Previous
Precum exposure when condom is put on penis
Next
What is this?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.