Worried

Is it possible to have a negative result during acute viral syndrome? Is a chronic dry cough associated with AVS? If so, does it continue for about a month and then go away by itself (no medicine)? My wife says she never cheated on me before we got married (about 2 months ago), but then she started with this cough which came on with a cold she had and continued after the other cold symptoms had gone away (about a month into our marriage). I don't know if I believe her or trust her. When I asked her about this, she got angry, a reaction that reassured me at first, but which I now realize to be meaningless. She and I have never had unprotected intercourse (avoiding pregnancy), but we have had unprotected oral sex. What do you think? Thank you.

It is possible to have a negative, indeterminate, or positive result during an acute retroviral syndrome. Symptoms of primary HIV infection are not comparable to cold symptoms. ARS symptoms will go away on their own without any kind of treatment. Please refer to A Message About Symptom Questions for more information about symptoms.

It's interesting that you associated your wife's cold (a rather common illness among people) to the less likely scenario that she cheated on you and got HIV infected. If the only evidence you have for her infidelity is her cold, then you're on shaky ground. What else might be going on here? Do you have difficulty trusting her? Do trust issues complicate your relationships? If this is the case, then I would suggest that you try to gain a better understanding of what's going on with YOU. Relationships are complex and can exacerbate a lot of our own insecurities.

RMK

WINDOW PERIOD ON THIRD ELISA
Oral transmission of HIV