Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Worried
Aug 21, 2000

Is it possible to have a negative result during acute viral syndrome? Is a chronic dry cough associated with AVS? If so, does it continue for about a month and then go away by itself (no medicine)? My wife says she never cheated on me before we got married (about 2 months ago), but then she started with this cough which came on with a cold she had and continued after the other cold symptoms had gone away (about a month into our marriage). I don't know if I believe her or trust her. When I asked her about this, she got angry, a reaction that reassured me at first, but which I now realize to be meaningless. She and I have never had unprotected intercourse (avoiding pregnancy), but we have had unprotected oral sex. What do you think? Thank you.

Response from Mr. Kull

It is possible to have a negative, indeterminate, or positive result during an acute retroviral syndrome. Symptoms of primary HIV infection are not comparable to cold symptoms. ARS symptoms will go away on their own without any kind of treatment. Please refer to A Message About Symptom Questions for more information about symptoms.

It's interesting that you associated your wife's cold (a rather common illness among people) to the less likely scenario that she cheated on you and got HIV infected. If the only evidence you have for her infidelity is her cold, then you're on shaky ground. What else might be going on here? Do you have difficulty trusting her? Do trust issues complicate your relationships? If this is the case, then I would suggest that you try to gain a better understanding of what's going on with YOU. Relationships are complex and can exacerbate a lot of our own insecurities.

RMK

Previous
WINDOW PERIOD ON THIRD ELISA
Next
Oral transmission of HIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.