Very confused - what is

Hi!

Sorry if I am being really ignorant. I am from the UK and I have no idea what the disease is which is referred to on your site as "mono" ! I don't know if it is an "Americanism" or if it is just that we have another name for it! My parents are both doctors and I have never heard them mention it either! Please explain!

Thanks!

"Mono" is short for infectious mononucleosis, a condition caused by infection with the Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV). You might have heard of EBV in its supposed connection to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. "Mono" is also referred to as the "kissing disease" because it can be spread from an infected person to an uninfected person through saliva. For this reason, infectious mononucleosis is sometimes categorized as a sexually transmitted infection. 95% percent of 35-40 year olds in the United States have been infected with EBV. Most don't even know they had been infected because they didn't experience any significant illness.

Mono usually runs its course in about 1-2 months. The most common symptoms are fever, fatigue, sore throat, and swollen glands. There is currently no treatment for it (you can only treat the symptoms), but it is almost never fatal. A doctor can perform laboratory tests to determine if symptoms are mono-related.

RMK

oral sex and pregnancy
Floaters, Numbness just after a few weeks