The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Very confused - what is

Aug 29, 2000


Sorry if I am being really ignorant. I am from the UK and I have no idea what the disease is which is referred to on your site as "mono" ! I don't know if it is an "Americanism" or if it is just that we have another name for it! My parents are both doctors and I have never heard them mention it either! Please explain!


Response from Mr. Kull

"Mono" is short for infectious mononucleosis, a condition caused by infection with the Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV). You might have heard of EBV in its supposed connection to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. "Mono" is also referred to as the "kissing disease" because it can be spread from an infected person to an uninfected person through saliva. For this reason, infectious mononucleosis is sometimes categorized as a sexually transmitted infection. 95% percent of 35-40 year olds in the United States have been infected with EBV. Most don't even know they had been infected because they didn't experience any significant illness.

Mono usually runs its course in about 1-2 months. The most common symptoms are fever, fatigue, sore throat, and swollen glands. There is currently no treatment for it (you can only treat the symptoms), but it is almost never fatal. A doctor can perform laboratory tests to determine if symptoms are mono-related.


oral sex and pregnancy
Floaters, Numbness just after a few weeks

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint