Does my ex-boyfriend have an STD?

My ex and I have remained good friends and he has recently confided in me that he has a problem with his penis. When the foreskin is pulled back the skin is very red and there is a watery discharge that smells quite strongly. His penis has become very itchy and sometimes stings. I am concerned for his health as he refuses to seek help. He has had this problem for around 2 weeks. Do you think it could be an STD?

Thanks for your time.

This is another one of those symptom questions (please refer to Rick's Message about symptom questions) that is difficult for me to answer specifically over the internet. It is possible that he has some sort of infection or irritation that a doctor could shed some light on. I think we agree that a doctor's visit could be beneficial and probably help relieve some of his symptoms.

The fact that he doesn't want to visit a doctor about this issue is a tricky situation for you. You have to remember that seeing a doctor is a personal decision and we need to respect that individual's choice. However, the way you approach him could be crucial in influencing his decision. People too often say, "You need to" or "You should do" this or that. That often alienates or scares people. Maybe you could find out why he's afraid of going to see a doctor by asking questions and being supportive. You could even offer to go to the dr.'s office with him if that would help. Let him know that you care and are concerned for him, and that this is probably not a serious, terminal condition. Your support might make a difference.

RMK

Confused???
How long does the virus live outside the body