Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Does my ex-boyfriend have an STD?
Sep 4, 2000

My ex and I have remained good friends and he has recently confided in me that he has a problem with his penis. When the foreskin is pulled back the skin is very red and there is a watery discharge that smells quite strongly. His penis has become very itchy and sometimes stings. I am concerned for his health as he refuses to seek help. He has had this problem for around 2 weeks. Do you think it could be an STD?

Thanks for your time.

Response from Mr. Kull

This is another one of those symptom questions (please refer to Rick's Message about symptom questions) that is difficult for me to answer specifically over the internet. It is possible that he has some sort of infection or irritation that a doctor could shed some light on. I think we agree that a doctor's visit could be beneficial and probably help relieve some of his symptoms.

The fact that he doesn't want to visit a doctor about this issue is a tricky situation for you. You have to remember that seeing a doctor is a personal decision and we need to respect that individual's choice. However, the way you approach him could be crucial in influencing his decision. People too often say, "You need to" or "You should do" this or that. That often alienates or scares people. Maybe you could find out why he's afraid of going to see a doctor by asking questions and being supportive. You could even offer to go to the dr.'s office with him if that would help. Let him know that you care and are concerned for him, and that this is probably not a serious, terminal condition. Your support might make a difference.

RMK

Previous
Confused???
Next
How long does the virus live outside the body

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.