Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Deep Kissing and HIV Transmission
Sep 5, 2000

Hello,

I just read this article which quotes Luc Montaigner:

=============

Deep kissing and HIV transmission

Contrary to some studies, renowned French researcher and scientist, Prof. Luc Montaigner, who discovered that AIDS is caused by the Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV), has revealed that HIV can be transmitted through kissing. Speaking at an AIDS workshop at Sheraton Kampala Hotel, Aug. 29, Montaigner said while many scholars ignore the risk involved with kissing, research has proved that deep kissing leads to contamination. "Deep kissing where there is exchange of saliva leads to Aids," Montaigner told Aids researchers and journalists. He explained that salivary glands contain viral components and can transmit these components to a partner during the kissing process. He said it is worse if one's partner has mouth ulcers or wounds. Montaigner is president of the World Foundation for Aids Research and Prevention, director of research at the Centre National de la Recherche Scientific (CNRS) in Paris and head of the Viral Onchology Unit at the Virology department at Institut Pasteur, where he also head. From The Monitor (Kampala) August 30, 2000. http://allafrica.com/stories/200008300010.htmls the AIDS-

Retroviruses department.

===============

Okay, I am thoroughly confused now. Has Deep Kissing now become a higher risk activity? Also, Mr. Montaigner specifically states, "research has proved that deep kissing leads to contamination." Did I blink and miss some critical study results?

Please enlighten me! Thanks

Jeff

HIV Newsletter Editor

Response from Mr. Kull

Thanks for the update. I must have blinked too, because Luc Montaigner's announcement is news to me. I have not been able to find anymore specific information about his statement.

I am so wary of the press when it comes to relaying scientific information. You need to be careful of statements being taken out of context. In the absence of clear scientific data, articles like this hold no weight with me.

I'll update you all if I hear of anything more definitive. I still believe that kissing is an extremely low risk activity. Refer to my response to Newest information on deep kissing for more information on this topic.

RMK

Previous
Am I Crazy??
Next
Have you ever heard of this?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.