Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Understanding Relative risk
Sep 8, 2000

I am a recently divorced person getting back into the dating scene after some time. I am HIV negative and have begun a relationship with a woman. We have become sexually involved and I am trying to understand my risks so that I can make an informed decision. She has had 4 partners in the last year (2 were one night affairs with people she knew). She was tested for HIV recently (about 3-4 weeks after her last possible exposure with a previous boyfriend (oral sex with ejaculation), and prior she had oral sex (not to ejaculation) 9 weeks prior to her test. Specifically, I am interested to know how much faith I can have in her negative test result based upon the circumstances outlined. I am not looking for absolutes, instead, I am trying to put risks in perspective and make good decisions. Can you help?

Response from Mr. Kull

There is no better answer to your question than an HIV antibody test at three months and using a condom for sex instead of guessing.

In the United States, a woman who has not shared injection needles and has not had sexual contact with a needle-sharing person or a man who had sex with a man is generally at low-risk. That's epidemiology. Reality informs us that we don't always know who or what our partners are doing, and that guessing is not the safest bet.

In HIV counseling sessions, I often ask people to look at the facts and then trust their feelings before making decisions with partners. People who have unprotected sex while they feel unsure of their partner's status may feel anxious or regretful, regardless of the actual risk involved.

RMK

Previous
Saliva as lubricant
Next
Genital Warts

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.