Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

test results there, too scared to go in!
Dec 10, 2001

Dear Ryan, I had unprotected anal sex approximately 11 months ago, since that time, I have had protected sex with two other men. Since that time, one of my friends' wifes went to donate blood and was informed by her doctor that she had "blood abnormalities". My partner went to be tested at 18 weeks and was negatative...thankfully. Anyways, I haven't really a question...more of a comment. I went to get tested, which took every oz of strength I could muster, unfortunately for me...everytime the nurse went to draw blood, the rubber top on the vial broke off...which resulted in my blood everywhere...and on her 3 times....I am so incredibaly worried that if I am HIV+ the nurse may have been infected to, along with being worried that my partner's results might be positive at 6 months. I was told at the clinic that they didn't have enough blood to test, however because I'd been in two weeks before to test for other STD's they had some remaining blood to test. The results are in! I'm just so very scared to go get them now! So..a couple of questions for you...is a dry mouth indicative of HIV infection? Do clinics track you down somehow if you are positive and did not return for results? Please answer! I am trying to become informed thinking that more information will give me the strength I need to go in and get my results. Thankyou!

Response from Mr. Kull

Many people have a difficult time going in to get their results after being screened for HIV infection, so you're not alone. You cannot assume that a clinic will contact you if you are HIV positive or base your HIV status on symptoms or conditions people commonly experience that are of no consequence(like dry mouth, runny nose, fatigue, etc.). The only way to know your HIV status is to get your results.

Your risk for infection through the unprotected anal sex is mostly determined by your partner's risk for infection. It sounds like he is probably uninfected (if I have your story right) because he had a negative HIV antibody test result. Using a condom during anal sex with partners of unknown status is not only a great way to reduce your risk for infection, but also a way to reduce your anxiety.

It sounds like your experience getting your blood drawn was pretty stressful. No wonder you are having a difficult time going back in to get your result. As far as the nurse is concerned, the clinic at which you had your blood drawn should have protocols in place to help reduce the health care workers' risk for infection with bloodborne pathogens. The nurse would only be at risk for infection if your blood contained HIV and that came into contact with her mucous membranes or bloodstream.

Good luck trying to work through this stressful situation. Try to call on some people in your life who can be supportive as you figure out what you want to do.

RMK

Previous
test too late?
Next
Is It Possible??

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.