Rectal fingering, saliva, and gum bleeding

I know you probably have answered this question but I think my situation might be unique. I am a gay man and I was recently in a situation where a man used saliva to lubricate his finger before penetrating my rectum. It was painful and I am sure it tore the lining of my rectum. While I quickly made him stop, I am concerned that I could have contracted HIV, especially if he had blood in his saliva. We had no other sexual contact but about a week later I started having headaches that lasted all day and felt a lot of pressure in my head. I went to the doctor and he diagnosed me with a sinus infection. My question is multiple: do people with gum disease commonly bleed all the time or only after brushing? I was with him for hours before the incident so I know all he did was drink liquids. I didn't notice any blood in his mouth or anything like that. Should I be concerned or am I just paranoid? Has anyone ever contracted HIV through rectal fingering?

Your situation is actually not unique. I do not know of any cases of HIV infection happening through fingering. It is especially unlikely for the person getting fingered to get HIV -- unless there is clearly fresh blood or semen on the finger. I do not see any significant exposure in your situation.

Next time a guy wants to put his finger -- or any other object -- in your rectum, maybe you could suggest that he uses a more effective lubricant. Aqua Lube, ForPlay, Wet, KY, etc., are some good ones and might reduce the discomfort you experienced.

RMK

warts
lifespan of virus in needle