HIV=AIDS ?

I have two very simple questions that might sound stranger than some of the other ones you get on this site but here it goes :

1) Does HIV cause AIDS ? ( HIV=AIDS ? )

2) IF Yes, can you please point me to the paper / scientific report that proves this as fact ?

The reason I ask is because in my research to date, I can not seem to find this information. I have checked almost all the information provided on The Body web page but have only come up with the inference that HIV=AIDS, no actual scientific data to prove this as fact. I have also read through the report from the Centers for Disease Control but this also does not really address the issue of whether or not HIV = AIDS.

I was recently diagnosed HIV Positive and am finding it very difficult to consider using Drugs to fight / Stave off AIDS ( currently recommended by most doctors ) when I can not find actual medical proof that HIV=AIDS. It seems strange that my doctor would recommend that I take drugs now -- when I am perfectly healthy -- in order to fight off a disease that he has no proof will actually materialize.

Further, as I am an American Citizen married to a foreign national living abroad, my wife who is also infected with HIV is not illegible to apply for a green card to the USA. Again this is based on the FACT that HIV=AIDS I am assuming. So, I am now looking for the material which everyone including the US Immigration is basing their facts.

I look forward to any help or further information that you might be able to provide in this regard.

Thank you very much in advance.

I have no doubt in my mind that HIV infection leads to AIDS. There is so much scientific information on this that I can't even tell you where to start. Actually, I can. Every person that has dedicated their time to building, maintaining, and providing services to this website firmly believes that HIV infection leads to AIDS. Anyone who tells you that HIV infection does not lead to AIDS probably has NO scientific data to back up their argument.

I strongly believe that the recent antiviral medications have saved some of my friends' and colleagues' lives. The medications are not perfect, but I'd hate to imagine what it would be like right now without them (at least here in New York).

Read through some of the links in the History and Causes of HIV/AIDS section of this website to get a clearer picture of why we know that HIV infection leads to AIDS.

I wish you the best in your struggle to figure out how to maintain your health and well-being during this difficult time for you.

RMK

How rare?
same status transmission