|Homework need you
Dec 6, 2001
I am doing a newsletter for my health assignment and I need to know how HIV/AIDS are not transmitted?
| Response from Mr. Kull
This is a huge question to answer because HIV is not transmitted many, many ways. It's easier to start off with describing how HIV is transmitted, based on what we know about the science of HIV and what actually happens in the real world. It's important to remember that HIV is only known to be transmitted through the following three ways:
1) Sexual contact: anal, vaginal, and oral sex
2) Blood-to-blood contact: sharing injection needles, occupational exposures, blood transfusions (which is rare in the U.S).
3) Mother-to-infant: either through delivery or during breast feeding
Outside of this three main categories, we do not see HIV being transmitted. It is often stressed that HIV is not spread through casual contact. This is an important fact because many people are afraid of getting HIV during day-to-day contact with people who are or might be infected with HIV. The CDC has excellent information on this; see "Misperceptions about HIV and AIDS" (http://thebody.com/cdc/factv.html).
Good luck on your newsletter.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Is Tingling In Fingers An Early Sign Of HIV?
- Bronchitis After Sucking Penis Worried I Have HIV
- Cold Feet After Handjob Worried I Have HIV
- Groin Pain After Licking Rectum Worried I Have HIV
- Itchy Vagina After Genital Rubbing Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Purple Spots After Drinking After Someone Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.