The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

insertive vaginal sex

Dec 6, 2001

when you say insertive vaginal sex, would this include inserting the fingers or just the penis? why would one be more susceptible to infection than the other?

Response from Mr. Kull

When I say insertive vaginal sex, or insertive penile-vaginal sex, I am referring to a person putting their penis inside another person's vagina. If I'm referring to the risk of HIV transmission during insertive vaginal sex (and hopefully I will be more specific than that) I would be talking about the risk of transmission to the insertive partner, or the one whose penis it is.

Insertive vaginal sex does not refer to inserting fingers into the vagina. That would be considered insertive digital sex, or digital-vaginal sex (digital referring to fingers). I usually refer to it as inserting your fingers into your partner's vagina or rectum.

The reason why insertive penile-vaginal sex poses a risk for infection and insertive digital sex does not is because of the presence of mucous membranes in the penis. Anytime mucous membranes come into contact with infected fluids, transmission can happen. Mucous membranes in the penis are present in the lining of the uretrha, and among uncircumcised men, on the inner surface of the foreskin.

There is evidence that men are infected through insertive sex, but there is no evidence that people are infected through fingering.


Scientific explanations unclear for me. Please help.
Homework need you

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint